SO BASICALLY…. this is a PSA more than anything. If you are into fruity drinks [mostly margaritas] of the strawberry, watermelon, & pineapple variety… [pictured above when I was on Catalina Island] BEWARE. Long story short there is a shortage of Tequila in the WORLD. The agave plant [used to make tequila] takes about 7-8 years to mature before the farmers can harvest. The supply is not meeting the demand for this liquid gold [or silver if you’re me] so the farmers are harvesting early at 4 years [which makes for not so good tequila] in turn, causing even more of a problem. If you’re into really reading from sources that aren’t from a pink haired glitter queen at a desk [spreading the word] then you can read what the New York Post said about this tragedy here.
Now, I’m no floozy boozy [at least not anymore] I’ll have a drink or two a month… unless I’m doing some really cool activity as in laying on a beach, or having a girls weekend. [These events are quickly approaching & I can’t hardly wait.] As tragic as it is, I could survive [cue “I will survive”], but this does harbor the question for me.. How many other global shortages are there that might be life or death?
Has anyone read my article about the bees? This is serious. Plants are essential to our ecosystem & life as we know it. Why can’t people just chill on the tequila shots & we’ll wait a few years to go wild. Fun Fact [the year the McDonald’s introduced the smoothie with blueberries they prepped & planted tons of plants that could sustain this new menu item.] Idk where I was going with this, but buy your 21st birthday princess something she’ll never want again and give her the birthday she’ll never forget. [but probably want to] & let those agave plants grow for a few years.
If you aren’t ready to face the music & start paying [WAYYY extra] for margs you can’t live without… Here’s my simple & wonderful Margarita recipe [I’m going to greatly miss] if our liquid gold skyrockets like they say it will.
- 2 shots tequila [I use silver]
- 1 shot Triple Sec
- 2 freshly-squeezed limes
- 1 shot agave nectar
- optional: pineapple, strawberry, watermelon, etc. juice
- ice [on the rocks] or you can blend it if you are savage like that
- Salt for rimming the glass & a lime wedge
***makes 1 serving.
- Running your lime slice around the top rim of your glass.
- Fill a small bowl with salt [that fits your glass] & dip the rim in the salt
- Add tequila, lime juice, Triple sec & agave nectar in a cocktail shaker & shake that baby a few times. [if you want to add pineapple, strawberry, etc. add juice in now]
- Put ice in your glass & pour the shaker contents over those rocks.
- If you need that Instagram worthy pic, you’ll now garnish with your lime wedge & a really fabulous straw.
- Enjoy. Repeat as desired.